Tuesday 13 May, 2008

P.P.

Remember the term!!! What comes to your mind when you read this title?

This was very prevalent term in my childhood days. I have sympathy to this term that has lost its existence in the rapidly growing Indian economy. The changes in Indian lifestyle may not have been really significant but when it comes to this technology, it has been drastic. I am trying to steal some time before I start discussing about the term, just trying to give you sometime to start thinking in back of your mind about this term. If you are able to recollect, it’s great and if not, then this will provide more impact to the next paragraph where I have given some sort of tribute to this ‘not so frequently’ used term nowadays, and I have complete sympathy for it.

It used to be an acronym for non-personal phone number. The local language full-form used to be “Padosi Phone”. Now you realize how abandoned this term has become. With the increasing number of mobile phone connections day-by-day, still reducing tariffs and increasing competition in the market, everyone has a mobile, India is set to takeover US in terms of mobile phone subscribers. Needless to say there is no need for this term anymore in Indian scenario. May be the term is still in use in distant places/village but with the rapid “celluraization” of Indian villages, I really do not think it will be able to sustain itself in the running language. It is one of the endangered non living species that is set to extinct as one of side effects of human technological growth.

2 comments:

Anshu Anand said...

hahaha :)

I could not remember what it meant until told.

Anand Gautam said...

Even I could not remember it at once........good old days :)